Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Making it Personal

How do you deal with someone who takes a problem or a crisis and makes it about you? It's taken me several experiences to realize that this is how many people operate. They feel out of control in a given situation so they turn around and lash at the person who is supposed to be resolving the situation. Me.

How do you work with someone who takes a situation at work and makes it personal, when it's not even remotely so?

It's very easy to react and have the situation explode and morph into something it was never meant to be. I'm learning to take a step back and dissociate from the situation so that I am not attached to it anymore. Once I have done that, I can look at it dispassionately and appreciate why we value this person so much. I am free! I feel empowered. I can do my work in peace...

1 comment:

Kay said...

By being 'very' coldly professional about it.

It helps if you close your eyes for a few minutes and think that you are a spectator of your life. This helps in distancing yourself from the situation. You get a clearer picture of what's going on and the solution stares at you, on your face.

I was always pulled into this kind of mess before. Once I learnt to be professionally cool, I wasn't there anymore.